Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March 19th, 2011--Saturday. Another shorter run in favor of time with my family, but the conditions, while still on the beach reached a whole new level of severity that day. With a new weather change came a new front, bringing intense gusts that proved formidable during a run so close to the water. I began on the same path as usual from my court but stayed on the sidewalk this time, bracing myself against gravel and pebbled concrete. While some parts did induce some recoiling, I made it intact and felt confident that my feet were becoming more accustomed to this new type of terrain. Then came the beach. Being along the water brought my body against high winds that made me fight for every step, and stole the breath from my lungs making the battle try every fiber in me. I ran as far as I wanted to go, for 8 minutes and ran some more. I gave myself a goal to get to the next visible jetty after 10 minutes was reached and I was already tired, and met the jetty at 12 minutes before I turned back. The ride back was of course much more palatable with the wind nudging me forward the whole time and the monster's roar absent from my ears, it felt much less like a battle and more like a jaunt out along the water's edge. The rest of the run was smooth besides my vision being impeded by my stray hair. I ended up ending with a solid 21 minutes and felt amazing the rest of the day despite passing out uncontrollably at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment