Thursday, March 17, 2011

BareFooting It All

The Dry Introductory Post

I will skip all introductions and get right to the good stuff because my eventual blog postings will tell enough about me.

BareFeet.

There is a lot of stigma today against walking barefoot, and in my experience in the generation I currently ebb and flow with, you can easily label someone as being a "hippy" or weird for not wearing shoes within normal societal circumstances. While this activity was probably more prominent when hippies actually roamed and were being told to cut their hair, shoelessness is less of an issue today especially in (middle class) America because of the value shoes have been assigned in this day and age. That and the urbanization and softening of our culture towards the refined image of "perfect" hair and skin.

These are serious issues that are one more cog in the vicious cycle of capitalistic dreams of never having enough. "Biggie size that please". Why aren't we content? I will come back to this later, more on shoes.

People become very sentimental about particular shoes, and the right shoes often make or break an outfit. I know several people when asked what they look at first when they meet someone new, they say the person's shoes. I never understood this. I mean granted, I have a terrible fixation on boots, but dear me, I won't send you away if you haven't the right brand. No, not at all. Shoes, maybe even more so than clothes in this instance seem to define a person, or at least serve as some representation of them. So like labels, why are we giving people reason to judge I wonder. Why have shoes become a status symbol. Why do we need 23 pairs of heels, or Vans in every color? Flip Flops that cost $56, and designer shoes that can reach $1,000?

One more thing to pine after I suppose.

But what happens when you take that all away and level everyone out?

You can enjoy the beauty of what we were given.

No comments:

Post a Comment